Friday, September 28, 2012

Flashback Friday #204


The Little Spaced Out Girl


Hello. It's good to have you back.

If you've read this blog for any length of time, you know that I grew up in a rural area. Being in a rural area, and not yet having a driver's licence, meant that I had to ride the bus to & from school. This post is about one of the other kids that rode the same bus.

Her name was Megan Kendrick (I don't use real name to protect the innocent and to protect myself from potential lawsuits). She was a petite, slightly built girl who was a Freshman when I was a Sophomore. She lived about two miles from my house, so we rode the majority of the route together (seeing that there were only two more stops after mine).

Personally, I thought she looked like the little rooster on Foghorn Leghorn that liked to read those long-haired books.She even wore the big glasses, too (After all, it was the 80's). One of the Seniors on the bus came up with the nickname that stuck. The Little Spaced Out Girl. He called her that because she aways had a far-away look. I have to wonder if she was just wishing to be somewhere else.

She always sat about middle-of-the-bus and preferred to sit alone. Some of the guys (myself include) would sit nearby and ask her questions to try to get her to talk, seeing that she rarely said anything. Sometimes, when she was tired of the attention, she shout "Stop it (insert name)". Our bus driver would then holler back for us to leave her alone.

On my last bus ride from school ever, I tried to apologize for being such a moron. She sat in her seat looking far-away, and said nothing. I still feel bad after all these years.

No comments: