Friday, February 6, 2009

Flashback Friday #24




Four-eyes




When I was a child, Mom was constantly after me to move back from the TV because it would ruin my eyes. I don't know if the TV did ruin my eyes, or I sat up close because I couldn't see well. Whatever the reason, it became apparent that I needed to get glasses.


I had watched enough TV to know that only the geeky, class egghead wore glasses. I would do anything so I wouldn't be cursed with the "four-eyes" moniker. I even went as far as cheating once on an eye exam in school. The class was sent over to the school nurse one at a time for the test. When it was my turn, there was a knock on the door. The nurse excused herself for a moment. While she was gone, I memorized the eye chart. This was while I was in the fourth grade. I remember a few times I couldn't see too well in the third grade too.


In the fifth grade, my teacher sat us in rows alphabetically, with my desk being in the back of the class. While she was at the board writing our lessons, I couldn't see what she was writing, so I paid little attention. One day, while clowning around with the kid next to me, I was busted big time. She called my name, and asked me to read the board and give and answer to the problem she had written. I confessed that I couldn't see it. She asked me to step forward until I could read the board. I was standing next to the front row when I could make it out. A note went home to my parents, and the next day, my seat was in the front row.


Later that month, I had my first visit to the optometrist. As I sat in the big chair, he flashed the eye chart on the wall and asked me to read the first line I could. I told him I couldn't read any of it. "Not the top row?" he asked. "Nope," I replied, "I can't read any of it." Those of you who have had an eye test know that there is a large "E" at the top of the chart. The eye doctor was aghast, for he had never had anyone completely flunk an eye test.


When the test was over, he had me pick out some frames because, beyond a shadow of doubt, I needed glasses.I didn't want wire rims due to the fact that my brother bent his a lot. I chose some stylish black frames that looked like the were designed by by "Eggheads R Us". Their redeeming factor was that they had small rockets on the sides riveting the temple hinge.


When the glasses came in, the doctor put them on me and asked how things looked. WOW! I didn't realize everything wasn't naturally fuzzy. I could see. Before my glasses, I was like the blind man Jesus touched in Mark 8:24. "I see men as trees, walking." I just stood there soaking in the sights. The doctor asked Mom how long I had gone without my glasses. Mom told him I had never had glasses. With that information, the doctor rushed over to me and asked if I was dizzy or anything. Oh no, everything was wonderful, and so clear.


Well of course I caught some grief at school from my school mates, but I didn't care. I could see. Did I mention that I could see? My grade skyrocketed. I figured out why the brainy kid on TV was always portrayed wearing glasses. They could see their classwork and therefore could soak in information like a sponge.I kind of looked like a heavier version of Dilton Doily from the Archie comics. Sure I was fat, and now I wore glasses, but I started coming out of my shell. The quiet backward boy could now see what was going on and got involved in things around him. I may not have been much to look at, but outer beauty isn't what counts.


My Tiny Kingdom has a Flashback Friday Carnival where this weeks theme is "It's the inner beauty that counts."

7 comments:

Liz said...

Look at you, Dad! joining bloggy carnivals and all!

Anonymous said...

I totally remember putting on that first pair of glasses and realizing that trees had individual leaves that you could SEE. It blew my mind.

Andi said...

Awesome story. It reminded me of when I got my first pair of glasses in third grade. I didn't want them, but they made a huge difference!

Quirky said...

I love your stories! I think we share the same sense of humor. I'm so putting you on my reader!

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Great story, as always. I have never had glasses, but I think I need them now. I wonder if I will be able to relate to the 5th grade you when I put my first pair on...

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

I got my first pair in 5th grade. My grades did not suffer before that, because when you are as smart as me, you don't need to see. Seriously though, I remember riding my bike home from the Post Exchange (army brat), thinking I had no idea how big stuff was around me. I just bought a high def T.V. this last fall, and don't get why I spent the money on it. It does not matter how high def your T.V. is if you don't see in high def.
Love the FBF's.
MrNB

Lavender Chick said...

Loved your Friday Flashback! Funny how we all want what we don't have... I remember trying to cheat on an eye exam in 5th grade so I could get glasses! I thought glasses were cool. And I think I would have thought you were cool, too.