Friday, July 9, 2010

Flashback Friday # 95

Garbage Cake


Welcome back. I can tell by the look on your face that the title of the post has you puzzled. Don't let it. there is a logical explanation.

When I was growing up, if something was "garbaged", that meant that there was nothing left of it except the garbage (wrappers, container, crumbs, etc.). So if you had a garbage cake, it was a cake that didn't last too long. I can't ever remember having to throw remnants out. Around our house, garbage cake was a staple goodie.

So you may ask, what flavor is garbage cake? It doesn't taste like garbage, that's for sure. Actually it is a mayonnaise cake. Mayonnaise in cake, are you crazy? I thought the same thing the first time I heard of it too. I HATE mayonnaise (and Miracle Whip). I won't touch any salad or spread with it in it, but garbage cake is a whole different ballgame.

We had it so often because we almost always had all the ingredients on hand at all times. here's the recipe:

2 C flour
1 t baking soda
1 C sugar
3 T cocoa
Sift these ingredients together and then add:
1 C cold water
1C mayonnaise (or salad dressing)
1 t vanilla
stir well. put in greased & floured cake pan. Bake 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees.

That is the recipe for the cake. You can eat it un-iced, or ice it with your favorite icing. Mom usually made her's out of powdered sugar, milk, vanilla & a pinch of coffee. I've also seen her top it with chocolate icing or German chocolate icing (my brother's favorite). The cake is super moist. It is one of the best tasting chocolate cakes that I've ever eaten.

When ever we would go to a reunion, of family get together, Mom would make a garbage cake. She always brought home an empty cake pan.

1 comment:

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

YUM! Now you should have to bake the cake for your wife so we can get her review and pictures!

Mrs.NB