Friday, July 10, 2009

Flashback Friday #46



There's a booger in the house.


Hi folks, Welcome back to another edition of Flashback Friday. Now that I got the heaviness out of the way, we can return to another light-hearted post. It deals with one of my parents favorite hobbies: picking up strays. Admittedly, they have picked up a stray dog (Trixie) or cat or two in their lifetime. I am referring to picking up stray people.

Ever since we had our WWE neighbors spend time with us after the fire, our house just seemed to become a magnet to those who didn't fit in elsewhere.

When I was about 12, my folks invited a young man to live with us. He was having trouble with his folks (I think they kicked him out), so Mom & Dad opened our house to him. His name was Daniel Christmas (you know I don't use real names), but most people called him Dan, or his nickname, "Boog". He said Boog was short for "boogie"because he liked to boogie. I always thought it was short for "booger", because that what he was at times.

Boog was 19 (I think), tall, thin and scraggly looking. If you have ever seen "Nacho Libre", he sort of looked like Nacho's tag team partner "Skeletor"

As scrawny & scraggly as he was, he could attract the opposite sex. He drove a chick magnet, a '71, 440 Cuda (that's a 1971 Plymouth Barracuda with a 440 HP engine for those of you who don't speak muscle car). It was his baby.
Whenever he went to work, he would carpool with a couple other guys (one of Aunt Shelly's boys included) and go to work in their vehicles. He did not drive his car to work. He and his buddies worked at the Galena Brick factory. When they came home from work, they were absolutely filthy. Boog looked like a large orange Crayola crayon. This is why his car was never driven to work. If all the other guys called off, Boog did too so he wouldn't get his car dirty.

One of the reasons that Boog was so skinny was that he didn't take time to sit down and eat right. Most of the time he ate toast. I'll bet he ate a loaf of bread a week just in toast. Toast for breakfast, toast when he got home from work, toast while he was in bed (on the couch) watching late night TV. He also liked beer.

Sometimes, he would take his friends to the movies in his car. When you went to the drive-in, you always looked at the other cars that were there before it got dark. His car brought out the ooohs and aahs as it sought a place to park. He always parked near the back, because even though we paid for four admissions, there were at least six people in the car. I never hid in the trunk, but one time I laid across the back seat floor and everyone put their feet on me. I still think you must be nuts to voluntarily ride in the trunk of a car, even for a short distance.

Boog stayed with us for about six months, then as quickly as he arrived, he was gone. I never knew what ever became of him. I did hear that he wrecked his car, but was unhurt.

3 comments:

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Men and their cars...I guess it starts early, huh?!

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Jewel said...

I just had to laugh when you told of laying on the floor, to get into the drive-in. At our neighborhood drive-in, kids got in free if they were 12 and under. I didn't think I would ever turn 13!!!! In fact, all five of us stayed prematurely young for some time!! LOL
AND I had a girlfriend who actually TOLD me that a guy asked her to the drive-in? But he only had enough money for his admission and a six-pack, so she OFFERED to get in the trunk of his car and go with him that way!!! Can you believe it? Well, once they got into the drive-in, an employee hung around their car the whole night, thinking that there must be someone hiding in the trunk because like who comes to the drive-in alone??? The guy stayed for the first movie and then they left, with my friend still in the truck. Go figure!

The Ogre said...

And to all of you who have never seen a pic of Nottaguy (when he was young), he resembled Nacho Libre. Except that he had longer, blacker, curls