Thursday, January 8, 2009

Flashback Friday #20





This post is going to the dogs.


I began this week reading the book Marley & Me (Thanks, Theresa for sending my wife the book). It got me thinking about the dogs I had growing up. We were dog people for the most part. We had a few cats when I was younger, but dogs were the pet of choice. We had 3 (9) dogs. I will explain this later.


The first dog I can remember was a mix breed named Bandit (We named him after the dog on Johnny Quest).We got him when I was about 4. He was inside but a short time, but wound up in the barn. He could eat a regular can of dog food in three bites. We would open both ends of the can, and push the food through the can. Sometimes he caught it in mid-air. He died when I was 7 or 8.


The next dog we got was Peanut. He was a Chihuahua with some Pomeranian mixed in. He was my Marley. Next week's post will be all about him.


Our next dog was Trixie. She was the outhouse cheek kisser in Flashback Friday #2. She was a stray that showed up one day, and decided to stay for a while. I was 12 when we took possession of her. She had 6 puppies (this is the explanation of the 3/9 dogs in the first paragraph). She got loose one time and she made the rounds of the neighborhood. Her 6 pups were six different breeds of dogs. Dad said we couldn't keep 8 dogs, so when the puppies were weaned, we kept one of the pups (named Bounce) and gave Trixie and the other puppies to a man down the road.


Bounce was named after a dog Dad had. He lived up to his name. Full of energy. He would routinely get loose, make his neighborhood rounds, and come back the next day. One day he got loose, and we assumed he would be back the next day. He never came back.


Living in the country like we did, dogs were everywhere. Everyone we knew had at least one, and even though I love dogs, there were a few who didn't care for me. Midget was my Aunt Dora's Chihuahua and Toby was Aunt Frieda's Bull Terrier. They scared the beejebers out of me when I was a child.


To this day, I still prefer dogs over cats. How about you?

2 comments:

NinjaJohn said...

Dogs have friends, and cats have staff.

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

I love what Ninja John wrote. So true!

We always had 2 dogs and 1 cat. I love dogs, but with three kids, I have chosen to be a cat person. They almost take care of themselves.

Mrs. Nurse Boy