Friday, April 17, 2009

Flashback Friday #34


Rotten Eggs-Beautiful Rotten Eggs


Greetings, One and all. After I posted my last Flashback Friday, I got to thinking,"Dude, You had the perfect Easter post, and you list something about being a CEO? What a knothead." I know Easter is over, so you get this version of Flashback Friday at the clearance price of 50% off.


When I was a kid, I loved to color Easter eggs, and what kid doesn't. I took my eggs a little more serious that the run of the mill child. I loved to look at the decorated eggs from Holland, and I would try to incorporate the designs onto my eggs. One year, I outdid myself. The eggs were virtual Van Gough's, practically Picasso's, and remarkably Rembrandt like. In a word, the were gorgeous.


As much as I liked to decorate eggs, I also had a strong dislike for eating them. I could choke the whites down with plenty of salt, but there was no way I could eat that yolk. ICK! To me, it tasted like old socks smell. To this day, the only way I can (and will) eat an egg is scrambled with ketchup, or in an omelet.


Getting back to the beautiful eggs, they were so lovely, nobody wanted to break them to eat them. Everyone marvelled at how pretty they were. Soooo, what do you do with hard boiled eggs after two weeks? Mom told me to throw them out. Throw them out!!! They were too pretty to eat. How can you just throw them out?


I couldn't just toss my masterpieces. So when I took them outside to the burn barrel, I hid them in the tall grass beside a tree stump. And I promptly forgot about them.


A few weeks later, Dad had cut the grass with the riding mower, and needed me to do the trimming with the push mower. All was well until I began to mow around the stump. The mower ran over "my masterpieces" and cut them into pieces. The air was then filled with the most disgusting aroma this side of a roadkill skunk. I almost hurled.


It has been many years since I decorated Easter eggs. When the grand kids suggest doing it I think I will encourage them to use plastic eggs and Sharpie markers. Did you ever have and Easter egg mishap?

Check out more stories at the Flashback Friday carnival at "My Tiny Kingdom"

2 comments:

Andi said...

I've smelled roadkill skunk, so I'm cringing just imagining how bad those eggs smelled. What a funny story!

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Sounds like something my boys would do...thanks for the warning.

One time I discovered Dimple's "food collection" in one of his dresser drawers. Good thing it was only day three or so...

Mrs. Nurse Boy