Sunday, November 4, 2012

Flashback Friday #209

My Room


Greetings. Yes, I know I'm late. Sorry about that, I'll try to do better in the future.

I have spoken many times about things that happened in my room, but I've never given you a description of the decor (or lack thereof) I intend to rectify that with this post.

As you walk up the stairs, you come to a small landing. There you see the openings to two rooms. The room on the left (which had no door) lead to my old room. This is the room I shared with the pool table, and slept on a hide-a-bed couch. When my brother, Sir Gattabout left for the military, I abandoned this room and commandeered his.

His room (which I will refer to as "My room" for the rest of this post) had a door.This meant there was a small amount of privacy. Although it had a door, it had no door knob. There was a hole cut into the door for one, but no knob. If you wanted total privacy, you had to stuff a sock into the hole, and put something in front of the door.

As you walk through the door, you notice that there is a gray, Berber carpet on the floor. There was no padding under the carpet. You'll also notice that there was a strange cut-out near the door. This came from the previous room the carpet was in. Dad knew someone who was putting down new carpet, so he brought the old carpet home. Even though it was second-hand carpeting, it was much nicer (and warmer) than the linoleum in the other room.

As you look into my room, to the left sat my desk.On top of it was the shelf from the kitchen hutch. This held the many models that I had put together. The right top drawer contained all the supplies needed to model building (paints, brushes, glue, exacto knives, etc.). The other drawers contained a hodgepodge of this, that & the other.

Clockwise from there was a six-foot coffee table that held my stereo. My records & tapes were stored in the doors on each end. I kept a couple boxes of books & magazines under it.

Next you come to my bed. This was the greatest bed that I had ever had in my life. Sir Gattabout had slept on a roll-away bed. Not me. I rolled his bed away when mom & dad got a new mattress & box springs and I got their old ones. I didn't have a bedstead to put them on, so they rested on the floor in the corner. The head was at the corner of the room where the ceiling sloped down. I had slept on at least a dozen different beds up until then. None of them as comfortable as this one.

In addition to the mattress & box springs, I also got their old pillows. I added them to the other pillows I slept with. There were about a dozen or so pillows on my bed, and I used all of them.

Near there area of the foot of the bed was my window. This was the window that Gattabout climbed through while home on leave and nearly scared the life out of me. This was also the window that he would sit in front of on the roof and pelt me with walnuts. This window never had a lock on it until the Crook boys moved in. After that, we put a lock on it and it stayed locked whenever we weren't home.

Around the corner from the window was my closet. It was a walk-in closet that took up the majority of the wall on that side. Since I didn't have a dresser, everything had to be hung up, or piled up on the floor of the closet. Mom didn't venture up very often, so I could get away with that. As long as she got her basket back, she was happy.

Between the closet and the entry door was and end table that my TV sat on. I could lay in bed, prop myself up with the pillows and watch TV in comfort. I was even allowed to take snacks upstairs as long as I saw to it that the trash was thrown away, which it was (at least monthly).

My next post will go into depth about the decorations on the wall.

No comments: