Monday, June 10, 2013

Flashback Friday #234



My Class Ring (Part II)


Greetings friends. In my last Flashback Friday post I told you about ordering and receiving my class ring as a Sophomire. This week I'll tell of some of the things I did with it.

Firstly, Mom told me not to give it to a girl. She always asked if I was wearing it, so I found a way around her demand. When I got to school, I would give my ring to my girlfriend, who would then wrap yarn around the finger opening until it shrank the ring to her size. At the end of the day, I would retrieve it to do it all again the next day.

The way my stone wad cut, it refracted light well. If I was sitting in a chair in which sunlight was streaming in, I'd move my ring and watch the light beam across the room. It kind of made me feel like Green Lantern.

Lastly, my ring was used in self-defense or retaliation. Turn the stone to the inside of your hand, next to your palm and you could deliver a smack that would be remembered. I only had to do this once.The was a Junior High kid on my bus named Len. Len and his friends thought they were all that and a bag of Doritos. One day Len got the bright idea that flicking my ears would be a great past time. Anybody that knows me in real life knows that I HATE anyone flicking my ears because my brother used to do it all the time. I told him to stop. Flick. I told him to stop again with the glare. Flick. I turned to him and said "Len, stop or you will be very sorry." and turned back in my seat. As I turned, I also turned my ring stone palm side down. Flick. Like a panther pouncing on prey I turned, gave my wrist a quick flick and smacked the top of Len's head.

It made a sound like somebody kicking a watermelon. Len thudded back in his seat and his eyes glazed over. He didn't make another sound or movement until the bus got to his house. Mechanically, he got up and got off the bus. I never had another problem with Len or any of his friends after that.

No comments: