Sunday, March 3, 2013

Flashback Friday #223


Scary Movies



Greeting to one & all. Thanks for stopping by. It might be a wise idea to read this post with the lights on.

In a previous post, I described the movie theater in the county seat. I saw many movies there as a teen. There was one genre that drew me to the theater more than any of the others. Horror flicks. I know this is odd, seeing the the problems with "The Tingler" . I had discovered that if you take a date to a horror movie, she will end up in your arms before the movie is over. However, the environment changed me.

I began my fascination with the grandfather of slasher flicks, "Halloween". I had heard several classmates rave on and on about this film, so I had to see it for myself. Believe it or not, the only time I actually jumped was when the branch breaks out the window.

If there was a horror flick, I was there to watch it. Seeing that it was the early 80's, and "Halloween" was such a blockbuster, all the movie companies started cranking out horror movies. There were movies about crazy individuals (Terror Train, Carrie), environmental disasters that spawned creatures(Day of the Animals, Food of the Gods), pollution that created mutated animals(The Beast) etc.
I even began reading the "scary" comic books like "The Witching Hour" and "Grimm's Tales". That lead to checking of scary books from the school library.

In short, the movies I saw and the books that I read were desensitizing me spiritually. I was currently in "My Dark Years", this was not a good thing. You will see just how desensitized I had become in the next Flashback Friday post.


No comments: