Friday, June 10, 2011

Flashback Friday # 140




Clubs & Organizations






Welcome again to those who have returned for another helping of re-hashing my past. If this is your first time here, go ahead and make yourself comfortable and click on the Flashback Friday label to see other stories of my youth. They make wonderful sleep aids (just saying).




Being a Freshman in High School means you need to interact with those in the upper classes. How is the best way to meet them? I know by experience that it isn't in the boys room (more on that later). I got to form friendships with those older than me by joining some of the extra-curricular activities offered by my school.




The first club that I joined was the "Media Club". I had some experience with video machines, and wanted to get to know more about the various gadgets available at the school. The Media club members were also student librarians. I can truthfully say that I was there when our school got it's first computer (ooohhhh). This was part of the forming of the inner geek in me.




I also Joined the Spanish club. Being a first year Spanish student meant that I didn't know the language too well, but I had heard that they went out to Mexican restaurants & watched classic movies dubbed in Spanish. Sounded like fun to me.




I took Home Ec. as a Freshman because I didn't want to be one of those guys who wind up with pink underwear when they do laundry or can't sew a button back on. There was also the factor that the class was loaded with girls.This brings me to the other organization that I joined. You may think this is quirky,but it was FHA (That's Future Homemakers of America for those of you not in the know). The year I joined, it added the acronym HERO to the end making it FHA/HERO. HERO stood for Home Economic Related Occupations. There I not only got to meet girls from upper classes, but I got to meet girls from around the county. The guys laughed initially (since most of them were in FFA) but when I explained why I did it, they admired my reasoning.


Since I road the bus to & from school, they only was to get home after a club meeting was to wait for Dad to get home. The meetings were over about 4-4:30. He didn't get home until five. It gave me some time to do what ever homework I had, or watch those in sports practicing.

No comments: