Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Flashback Friday #137




It's The Principal That Matters.




Welcome again to the rambling tales of my youth. Today we look at the educators who form the personalities of their schools. The Principal.

There is marked transition between Jr. High & High School. One of the biggest differences was the personality of the Principal. They were as different as night & day.

In Jr. High, the Principal was Mr. Quick. He was a very nice man. He was very laid back and gentle when dealing with his students. He reminds you of a favorite uncle. It helped me that he liked my brother.In the times I was in his office (which wasn't very often) he remained calm and spoke in such a way that you weren't fearful. There was always the threat of getting swats, but I don't remember him doing it very often.

In High School, The Principal was Mr. Tenpins. To say that the man could set you on edge in an instant would be an understatement. He was gruff & abrupt. The person who most reminds me of Mr. Tenpins the most is, if you have ever seen NCIS, FBI Special Agent Tobias Fornell.

I hadn't been in High School for very long when he met me in the hallway one day as I was heading to class. He asked me if I was the younger brother of Sir Gattabout. I answered that I was. His response was "I'll have to keep my eye on you." With that, he turned on his heel and stalked off.

Oh thank you big brother. This was the very Principal that my brother tormented (see Flashback Friday # 100). Simply because my brother was rotten, I found myself on thin ice. First I miss a sizable chuck of school, then I go to the top of the Principal's "Most Wanted" list. Something told me that High School wasn't going to be an easy place.

1 comment:

MotherT said...

My Jr. High principal was the Invisible Man. I don't even remember his name. The Asst. Principal, however, may have been tied to the Mafia!

When I went to high school, the rule changed dramatically. I was in the minority racially, and the principal was an extremely prejudiced black lady. I don't think I could have done wrong right in her eyes.