Saturday, January 9, 2010

It must have been one of THOSE days

Yesterday was just one of those days. I awoke to discover that Mother Nature dropped lots of the white stuff. A treacherous drive to work awaited. While I was doing my morning web surfing, I heard that school was closed. Lady Nottaguy-TYG and I had discussed the previous night, that if there was no school, I would take the day off. There was a reason for this.

It was determined through ultrasound that my MIL very likely is dealing with the dreaded "C" word. She won't know for sure unless a biopsy is taken, but she isn't a good candidate for any surgery, due to other health problems. Please keep her in your prayers.

Anyway, my wife and my youngest daughter (The Ogre), were going to discuss this with MIL and the options she is facing. They didn't want to take an eight year old along, so that's why I took the day off. While we were watching "Raiders of the Lost Ark", Indiana Jones swung over a bottomless pit. "A bottomless pit" exclaimed The Boy,"He must be swinging over my stomach". ROFL. In the mean time and between time we were having troubles with our sewer drain.

Well, the talk with MIL went better than expected. We all imagined that there would be weeping and gnashing of teeth. She said she felt something was "wrong" and suspected it. At 89, she is the longest living member of her family.

After we had lunch, and we went our separate ways, I went over to the rental place and rented an electric drain snake. Taking off the cover, standing water awaited me. After three hours in less than 20 degree temperature, and multiple trips down the drain got the clog out. I do not envy the guys that do that for a living. The gloves I used went into the trash (both pairs of them). I was a smelly mess, and sore over every part of my body.

Once I took the snake to the car wash to clean it off, we got things together to go grocery shopping. After shopping we stopped to get dinner out. Looking through the menu, I asked my wife if I could pass for 55 so I could eat cheap off the senior menu. She told me that the way I was moving, I could pass for 85. Hey, I was really sore.

When we got home, and the groceries were put away, I took a bath. Yes, a bath. A good ol' soak your achy body in the very hot water type of bath. When I realized that I almost falling asleep in the tub, I figured I had better get out before I drown.

1 comment:

Lavender Chick said...

Sorry about your MIL, but glad to hear she took the news well. I'm hoping this means she is at peace with it.

Okay - 20 degrees and outside doing sewer stuff??? I'm sorry. Very sorry.