Friday, January 1, 2010

Flashback Friday#68


New Year's Eve Edition.


Greeting to all, and happy 2010. Welcome back to another trip in the way back machine (to paraphrase Mr. Peabody).


This post deals with New Year's Eve traditions at our house. We were the run-of-the-mill, lower middle class family that usually spent a quiet night at home on New Year's Eve. Nothing exciting ever really happened.


The night would start off with mom putting sauerkraut and pork on to cook in the crock pot. Around our house, at the stroke of midnight, everyone was to shout "Happy New Year" and eat some sauerkraut. Supposedly, if you do this, you will have money all the year. I hated sauerkraut then, and haven't eaten any since I left home.


We would always watch Guy Lombardo and his orchestra. It was a big thrill to watch the ball fall at midnight. I didn't understand all the words to Aud Lang Syne. I'm not sure I do to this day.
Nobody dared to go to bed before midnight. If you had to take a nap earlier in the day to stay awake, you did it. If you fell asleep, you could expect terrible tricks to be played on you by everyone who was still awake.


After midnight, it was a mad scramble to go to bed. We were just that boring. No stay-awake-all-night-into-the-wee-hours for us.


How about you? Were you a party animal, or boring like us?

1 comment:

MotherT said...

The church I was raised in had an all-night singing service for New Year's Eve along with footwashing and communion. I was probably 13 or 14 before I knew that eveyone didn't celebrate at church.

NOW---I'm pretty much a 10 o'clock girl, as you well know!