Sunday, March 15, 2009

Flashback Friday #29

Cartoons



I have loved cartoons as long as I can remember. The nice thing now, having grandchildren, I can watch cartoons with them, and nobody thinks that I'm weird. Sometimes I watch them when there are no grand kids around.

I have a great dislike for most of today's cartoons. Most of them are just plain stupid. Now the cartoons of the late 60's & early 70's, there is some quality TV viewing.

In our house, on Saturday mornings the TV belonged to the kids. The nice thing was that Sir Gattabout and I liked the same shows. (for the most part). We loved the adventure cartoon like "Johnny Quest", "Space Ghost", and "The Herculoids". We even acted out episodes (I get to be Space Ghost this time, you were him last time.)"The Flintstones", "The Jetsons" & "Looney Tunes" were also favorites.

I am old enough to honestly say that I actually saw the first episodes some some iconic cartoons such as "Scooby Doo", "The Super Friends", "Grape Ape", "Smurfs" & "Hong Kong Phooey". I also watched some some that quickly went by the wayside such as "Sealab 2020", "The Hair Bear Bunch","Thundar the Barbarian" and "Tennessee Tuxedo".

In addition to cartoons, I liked the live action shows too. Who can forget "H.R. Puffenstuff" & "The Bananna Splits"? Some others that I watched that you probably forgot were "Lidsville", "Sigmund & the Sea Monsters", "Uncle Croc's Block" and "The Land of the Lost".

OK, Time for a pop quiz. Get out your pencil and paper and see how you do on this Saturday morning TV quiz. The answers are at the bottom, but no peeking!


1) What was the Jetsons' robot maid's name?

a) Tina

b) Lizzy

C) Rosie


2) Which of these heroes didn't make a guest appearance on "The Super Friends"?

a) Apache Chief

b) Blue Falcon

c) Samurai Warrior


3) Who was Scooby Doo's cousin? (Hint, this was before the annoying Scrappy Doo.)

a) Scooby Dumb

b) Scooby Don't

c) Groovy Doo


4) What was the name of the golden flute in H. R. Pufferstuff?

a) Wendy

b) Freddie

c) Goldie


5) What were the names of Thundar the Barbarian's companions?

a) Izzo the Mighty and Red Sonja

b) Ookla the Mock and Princess Ariel

c) Farfad and the Gray Mouser


6) Comedian Charles Nelson Riley starred in what two children's shows?

a) Uncle Croc's Block and Lidsville

b) H.R. Puffenstuff and Big John, Little John

C) Sigmund & the Sea Monsters and Land of the Lost


7) Hong Kong Phooey's alter ego did what job?

a) tailor

b) house painter

c) janitor


8) Who created Smurfette?

a) Papa Smurf

b) Gargamel

c) Handy Smurf


9) Who was the Blue Falcon's sidekick

a) Hawk

b) Red Rover

c) Dinomutt


10) What was the name of Johnny Quest's dog?

a) Bandit

b) Fang

c) Blackie




Answers: 1.-c, 2.-b, 3.-a, 4.-b, 5.-b, 6.-a, 7.-c, 8.-b, 9.-c, 10.-a


8-10 correct-Way to go. You either watched a lot of TV as a child, or are really into Cartoon Network.


5-7 correct- Not bad. You are perhaps a bit too sophisticated for cartoons.


0-4 correct- I'm sorry. You've missed out on some great shows. Check out Blockbuster to see if any of these are on DVD.


I came up with these questions from my memories. I did no googling or checking. If I am wrong on an answer, let me know.

What was your favorite cartoon?

3 comments:

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

OK, so I only knew 2 answers...sad, I know. I would like to think it was due to all of my bike riding as a kid. But, it is probably due to my sluggish brain.

I LOVED the Jetsons and the Flintstones and my kids have NEVER seen an episode! :0( I haven't been able to get my hands on any DVDs. They are really missing out!

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Theresa said...

Gigantor - Gigaaaannnntooor, or something like that. Thanks for the memories.

Ladybird said...

I am in the 5-7 range, but I am a few years younger than you, I think. Love, love, love cartoons and can't wait to introduce EC to some of the older ones!