Monday, February 4, 2013

Flashback Friday #219

Learners Permit


Greeting to those that still stop by this little corner of the Internet. Yeah, I realize that this isn't Friday, and I haven't posted since the Daniel fast ended, but to be honest, I'm not a big fan of the changes that Blogger made. In my opinion, they made things much more difficult, and in doing so, make it that much easier to put off posting. OK, I'll climb of my soap box and get on with the post.

A few posts back, I told you of my 16th birthday. When I turned 16,it meant that I was now eligible to learn to drive legally. Sir Gattabout still talks of the time I nearly scared him to death the first time I was behind the wheel of a car. He was far away in North Carolina, so Mom & Dad got the pleasure of teaching me to drive. But I'm putting the cart before the horse.

First things first, we had to go to the county seat and pick up a study packet. I had to know all the rules of safe driving. I also had to know all the sins and speed limits in various locations. I read the booklet several times over. Then the big day came to go take the test.

I showed up with about twenty others. We were all given the test and when we were finished, the Highway Patrol trooper in charge graded it before you left. If you missed five or more questions, you failed and had to take the test again. I missed four.

I went downstairs and go my official driver's permit. Dad let me drive home part of the way (about three miles from home). They took me out after they got home from work and on the week ends. We had lots of back roads where we lived, so I got to know them very well. It was awhile before they trusted me on the main highways that surrounded the metropolis of Marengo.

No comments: