Friday, February 24, 2012

Flashback Friday # 174






The Spanish Class Field Trip





Hola, Todos los personas. Beinevedos a Vienes escena retrospectiva.

No, The whole post isn’t going to be in Spanish. Good thing. Mi Espanol es muy malo. Even if your Spanish isn't as bad as mine, you’ll enjoy this story about a Spanish class field trip.

My teacher, Senorita Frijol, caught wind of a special matinee showing at a movie theater in Columbus . It was Cervantes’ “Don Quijote, de la Mancha ”. Not only was it the most classical Spanish movie ever, it was completely in Spanish with no subtitles.



Now, If I had been in Spanish 4, It would have been a great experience. I had not yet finished Spanish 1. I was lucky I could ask where the bathroom was (Donde esta el cuarto de bano). Watching a movie in a language you don’t know is confusing at best.

We all piled into the bus and made our way to Columbus . As we piled out, Senorita Frijol gave each of us a ticket with a seat number on it. All of her classes were sitting together, unlike some of the other schools that were there. I made sure that my best friend, Bart, got the seat next to me. If we couldn’t understand the dialog, we could come up with some of our own.

During the movie, the girl sitting on my left (Bart was on my right) kept complaining that she didn’t get it. “A movie like this is good for only one thing, making out.”

Every once & awhile we caught a word we understood. “Hey, that guy said dog.” “She wants water.”, and “They just said Hello” were heard in whispered conversations. Even though we didn’t understand all the dialog, the “jousting the windmill” scene cracked us up. The girl on my left said “I don’t get it. A movie like this is only good for making out.”

When the movie was over, and the house lights were coming up, the girl on my left said “What a waste of time. I didn’t understand any of it. A movie like this is only good for making out.”

Do you think she was trying to tell me something?

1 comment:

MotherT said...

I'm glad you and Bart were having too much fun to pay attention to the hints she was lobbing at you.