Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Catching up with random bits

When your computer is down for two weeks it is amazing how many things happen that you say "That would make a good blog post". Then, two weeks later when it is back up, you've forgotten most of them. Here are a few thing that happened that I did remember:



While riding home from picking up "The Boy" from school one day, we drove by something that smelled really bad (I think something had died by the road). "The Boy" turns to me and says "Boy, that smells bad. I bet the person in the car ahead of us farts a lot." Do you realize how difficult it is to drive after a comment like that?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

We spent four evenings working at the Millersport Sweetcorn Festival after putting our time in at our regular jobs. Get off work, drive an hour, work three, drive an hour home and go to bed. Wake up "refreshed" for work the next day. More on the Millersport Sweetcorn festival (complete with pics) in a later post.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

On our trip Saturday down to the festival, we stopped at McResturant to let the young 'uns with us go to the potty. While we were there we were discussing the President's health care reform package. During this discussion, I stopped for a moment to listen to a song coming over the muzak speaker. It was Fleetwood Mac's "Tell Me Lies". When I pointed the irony of this out, everyone cracked up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a more serious note, I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea recently. I got my new bedtime buddy "Mr. Bipap Machine" on the Thursday of the Sweetcorn festival. It has taken some time to get used to. If nothing else, my wife is sleeping much better.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you know what it's like being the commissioner of two fantasy football leagues (one at work & one at church) and not have access to your computer?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last Sunday, my Sunday School lesson was about Jesus sleeping in the ship while the storm raged. I really get into telling the story. By the time church was over , I could hardly talk from straining my voice during the panic scene on the boat. Later that night, the choir (of which I am a part) was to sing. I sang, rough voice and all. Make a joyful noise unto the Lord all ye earth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday I spent the day outside. After a side trip to a nearby garage sale, I mowed the yard, trimmed weeds, sprayed roundup, and then attacked the tree out back. It was in serious need of pruning (I had to duck under some of the branches when I mowed). I took my new pole saw out and went to work. It took me two trips to the yard waste landfill to remove everything that I had cut off. After the last load, I bagged some of the free mulch until the gatekeeper informed me that he was ready to lock the gates. I came home and my wife was away at a baby shower. I vegged in front of an old movie until she came home. Needless to say, I slept pretty well that night.

No comments: