Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The sounds that you'll hear in darkest Africa

I was discussing communication techniques with my Sunday school class of 3rd & 4th graders. We had been talking about witnessing, and I asked the kids to brainstorm how information is being passed currently, as well as in the past. They came up with an impressive list:
cell phones/texting
e-mail/ Internet
letters
walkie talkies
telephone
radio
TV
telegraph
carrier pigeons
courior/messanger
billboards
leaflets
I had two others in mind, and I gave them hints. The first was how did the indians communicate with each other in the cowboy & indian movies. They got smoke signals right away.The second hint was in the Tarzan movies, when the people and walking through the jungle, they hear this musical instrument, and stop to listen to what they are saying. (The answer is drums for those of you who may not have figured that out yet)

One little girl's hand shot up and guessed "Violins?"

I guess I'll have to go back and watch some of those old Tarzan movies again to see what I missed.

2 comments:

Jewel said...

The only Tarzan movie I've watched is the new one with .....hmm, I can't think of his name but it is hilarious!! *smile* I watched it with Daniel when he was still living at home and we would howl with laughter! I'm just not a fan of old black and white movies.

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Your Sunday School class is very intelligent.

Nurse Boy and I have spent a lot of time with the little ones. You don't even want to know their answers to the simplest of questions! We usually laugh so hard that our stomach muscles hurt!

By about 5 or 6 they learn to always answer "Jesus" or "God", even if it doesn't make sense! So cute!