Sunday, May 24, 2009

Demolition Man, Bob the Builder & Landscaper all rolled into one

What a day I had yesterday. I went over to my parents house to repair a hole in their living room floor. The floor had become weak due to moisture from the air conditioner above it. Dad had actually stepped through the weakened floor, leaving said hole.

When I got there, I recommended that we replace the entire section of plywood around the area due to there being several more spongy spots. I've always been told, when you are tearing out the bad, keep tearing out until it isn't bad anymore. Some of the removal was easy because the flooring crumbled in my hands (don't get me started about using particle board for flooring applications, I hate it). Some of the other had to be chiseled out where the construction adhesive was stronger than the plywood it was holding.

We then had to cut a piece to fit the larger size hole that we had created. We needed a piece 8 foot by 44 inches, so a normal 4 x 8 sheet was too big. We cut the 4 inches off and laid it in the hole. It didn't fit. Then we measured the sheet it was 8 foot and a quarter inch long. Normally I'm the kind of guy who doesn't mind getting something extra for free. This wasn't one of the cases. After cutting off the quarter inch, it fit quite nicely.

After I finished the floor, Dad asked me if I could plant some vegetables that a friend had given him. He had a small area tilled up to put in a garden and needed these tomato and pepper plants put in. I got them in and watered, and spent a while talking to him, then I needed to head home, where more work awaited me.

When I got home, I dug up the daffodils, tulips and hyacinths that we had planted at the front of our house. Since they didn't get a lot of direct sunlight, they had never flourished. I dug new homes for them out back near the side fence where the perennials there do very well. I then removed the sod in two areas in front of the house and planted perennials that do well in shady areas there. By the time I was finished, I looked like the little boy who had been making mud pies all day. I told my wife that at least it was honest dirt.

Lady Nottaguy-TYG rewarded me with a supper of grilled barbecue chicken, potatoes, salad and ice cream. We then watched an old movie and retired for the night. I was tired, to say the least.

1 comment:

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

WOW! I need a nap after reading all of that!

Hope you got to sleep in one day this weekend!

Mrs. Nurse Boy