Wednesday, February 10, 2010

20 years ago, on this day...An icon fell.


Do you remember where you were at when you heard that Mike Tyson was beaten in the ring? At 33-0, you expected that a fight with a little known boxer, James "Buster" Douglas would last about 35 seconds. When the news came out that Tyson was beaten, the boxing word was set on it's ear. I had followed Tyson since the Olympics. He was a beast.

It was the beginning of the end for Iron Mike.

I had never heard of "Buster" Douglas. My wife had. I was the sports nut, but she knew the new heavy weight champion personally. She went to high school with him. I was impressed, she wasn't. "He was a punk back then." she explained. My dad thought differently of him. He thought that Buster was a nice guy. Dad built a privacy fence for his house in Columbus.

No comments: