Friday, December 18, 2009

Flashback Friday #66



The shirt off my back


Hi, it's me again, hoping to entertain you with some more senseless rambling about my life in the late 70's. Just the phrase "the late 70's" should have you ROFL.(IMO,the 70's were only funny to the people who didn't live it)


School pictures. Just the very mention of the phrase is enough to cause a shiver down the spine of most adults. Who ever took a good school picture? I never did. Looking back through my yearbooks has brought on many fits of laughter from my Sunday school class. But I digress. This post isn't about school pictures in general. Just one specific one.


In 7th grade, I had a favorite shirt. It was a green t-shirt with navy blue sleeves and collar band. I had my school picture taken in this shirt.


As much as I loved it, my brother, Sir Gattabout, teased me about it. He got to pick out his clothes, so everything I had was "childish" because Mom still picked out my clothes. His clothes were cool, he wouldn't be be caught dead wearing any of mine. (Disclaimer: We wore the same size shirt. He was a stick and wore smaller waisted pants even though he was four years older than me.)


Mom always bought the package of school pictures. When we brought them home, there was quite the surprise. We both had on the same shirt. How was this possible, you ask? The High school and Jr. high had picture days at different times.


When asked why he had my shirt on, my brother replied, "All my shirts were dirty, so I guess I borrowed one of yours". Mom has a strict rule that she wasn't going upstairs to gather our laundry. If we wanted it washed, we had to bring it downstairs. He hadn't, so he had nothing clean for picture day.


If I had those pictures, I would have scanned them to upload them to this post (My long-time readers know that I don't care to put my picture on this blog. I think it has shown up once, long ago). I even looked to see if I still had that yearbook from 1977 (I didn't).


Did you ever have anything unusual about any of your school pictures?

1 comment:

Liz said...

Um, the fact that I always felt like my school pictures were going to be a Glamour shot or something, and thought I needed to be all dressed up :)