Friday, December 5, 2008

Flashback Friday # 15


Nicknames & Cousins


In my last post, I referred to a set of cousins who referred to me as "Gertrude", because I was such a momma's boy. I didn't see this set of cousins only but once or twice a year (and that was plenty for me.) There were two boys who were 9 & 10 years older than me, and two girls who were 7 & 5 years older. Other than reunions, They would go over to Aunt Pam's house where we would meet them. Her son, my brother & the two other cousins would barricade themselves in the son's bedroom & play electric football all day, while her daughter & the two girls would barricade themselves in her room and use perfume bottles as microphone to belt out the newest hit songs. (Rolling Stones, Beetles & Credence Clearwater Revival were the favorites). Now you know why I never grew close to either set of these cousins.


My closest set of cousins were Aunt Shelly's kids (she of the great outhouse adventure of Flashback Friday #2). She had 14 kids (no multiple births). I wasn't real close to the first six who were older than me, but the next five, all boys, were my constant companions. These are some of the nicknames I can remember from that family: Snook, Worm, Bean, Pork, Skeeter, Munch, Devil, & Dino. Munch got his nickname because my Dad caught him eating our cats canned food one time. Every year at the reunion, he asks me if I brought him canned cat food.


Another set of cousins had a couple of unusual nicknames also. The oldest boy was called Gooch. I was in my 30's when I first heard his real name. He had a sister called Pudgy. (I bet that helped her self-esteem)


The nickname everyone hated to be called in our family was Butch. That was the nickname of my Mom's youngest brother, who sometimes wasn't too bright. You could start a fight with the phrase "You're such a Butch".


Did you have a nickname when you were younger?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

want me to list them in order of appearance? The one I hated the most was HINEY. I made the mistake of forgetting the S on the end of my name on a school paper...in 6th grade. the name hung on until graduation.

Liz said...

anything having to do with lizards

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

My name is Bradley Joseph, and my parents called me B.J. Only that was not short enough, so they called me Beej. I started going by Brad in middle school, but my parents still call me Beej, and they even adress my Christmas presents to Beej. My last name is Peck, so there was a certain variation that people still today think they are funny with.

I don't.

I think your whole purpose of this questions was to compromise my top notch internet security.