Sunday, August 24, 2008

A Kick In The Head Is Worth Two In The...


For those of you not following the Olympics (both of you) , a startling thing happened Saturday. The headline on CBS Sportsline read "Cuban kicks ref in face, ban recommended". I first thought that the article was referring to Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks, NBA Basketball team. He has been known to verbally abuse the refs & get heavily fined for it. I thought, perhaps, he took it to a different level.

The article actually refers to an athlete who was upset about being disqualified, so he kicks the ref in the head. What, does he think that he will get extra points for this? Does he think the crowd will go wild and carry him upon their shoulders? What was he thinking?
I have a friend who is a baseball/softball umpire in his spare time. He tells me stories that would make your hair stand on end. I've watched the refs in football & hockey take a beating because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Umpires in baseball are screamed at constantly., but this takes the cake. Where has the respect of authority gone, not just in the world of sports, but in everyday living?

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Welcome to the bloggy world!!

I am a friend of Lady Lemon and I look forward to all reading and laughing I just know I will do at your blog.

Liz said...

Makes me want to hold up my sign "YOU IMPRESSED ME"