Friday, August 29, 2008

Flashback Friday #1


And Now For Something Completely Different...

Hello, folks. One of the reasons that I was pushed, prodded & convinced to blog was to save the childhood stories that my children (Lady Lemon & The Ogre) would beg to hear over and over when they were younger (come to think about it, they still enjoy hearing them). I will attempt to re-tell one of these stories each Friday in a column I call "Flashback Friday". Lady Nottaguy-TYG suggested that I tell them chronologically, so I will try, but you may have to jump the timeline with me a few times (or maybe quite often).

My first installment will begin with my older (and only) brother, whom I will refer to as Sir Gattabout. He is a former U.S. Army paratrooper, and current truck driver (hence the name). He also was quite the antagonist when we were younger. Being older, larger, stronger, better looking, (you get the picture) than me, I was always at the receiving end of anything that came down the pike. Almost.

One day when I was about four (that would make him about eight), he was taking a nap on our sofa after an incredibly intense day of tormenting me. My Dad was sitting at the foot of the sofa, talking to my uncle, who was in the easy chair next to said sofa. I entered the room with a cap pistol in my hand (this was the mid 60's so all toy guns were still metal). I walked over to him, looked down at his angelic, sleeping form, and asked my Dad "Gattie, leepin'?"(which by interpretation meant "Is Gattie sleeping?"). Dad looked over at him and said softly, "Yeah, Gattie's leepin'. "With that acknowledgment, I struck like a cheetah attacking an unsuspecting gazelle. I hollered, "Gattie leepin', not now!", and cracked him upside the head with the cap gun. I've not seen a pistol whipping any prettier in any John Wayne movie. Needless to say, his howls were soon drowned out by mine.

A word of advise- If you have spent the day antagonizing someone in your household, sleep with one eye open.



3 comments:

MotherT said...

And amazingly enough you lived to be able to write the story!! ((HUGS))

Liz said...

Thank you for saving these for all future generations to come. Now instead of a bedtime story, you can tell your grandkids to go read your blog.

just kidding. :)

Anonymous said...

ROFL