Friday, April 1, 2011

Flashback Friday #130


L'eggs



A cheery welcome to all who have stopped by this way. I'm off to meander down memory lane again. Care to come along?


Today's post is about that bane to womanhood. Pantyhose. I can see the wheels turning in your head right now. "Why on Earth would HE be writing about pantyhose? The answer is quite simple. I got to play with the toy that came with them.


Now you're saying "A toy in pantyhose?" I'm sure I've lost a few of you already. Not all brands came with a toy. Only one. L'eggs.


Many moons ago, L'eggs pantyhose actually came in a large plastic egg. It was similar to the plastic Easter eggs you see all over at this time of year. Mom bought only L'eggs, so I got all the plastic eggs that they came in.


What can one do with large plastic eggs? I had a fertile imagination, so I had lots of uses for them. I would use the halves to create crash helmets for my multitude of sock monkeys. I would use them for storing small things in. Perhaps the most bizarre use I had for them was I would fill them with as many toy soldiers as would fit in them. I would then fill the sink up with water. Then I submerged the egg & cracked it open slightly, so that it would fill with water. I then took the eggs filled with water & soldiers and put it in the freezer. The next day I would pop out a frozen soldier filled egg. It was like aliens had captured them or something.


There is, however, one pantyhose story that I must tell. When opening the package, the nylons were rather small before use. Mom wore queen size, so when Dad saw that little pair of hose come out of that egg, he couldn't believe his eyes. They were about six inches across and about a foot long. He took one look at them and told Mom, "There's no way in the world you're going to be able to get your fat butt in those!" "Want to make a bet?" was Mom's reply. She then promptly stretched them onto her. Dad stood there in slack jawed amazement. "Never in a million years would I have thought you could put those on." he said. Mom just laughed at him.


Alas, all good things must come to an end. L'eggs changed their packaging. They stopped putting them in eggs and started putting them in packages like the other hosiery. The eggs was seen as an example of wasteful packaging.

No comments: