Friday, October 22, 2010

Flashback Friday # 110



Star Wars



Greetings Earthlings and intergalactic visitors. I'm sure everyone who is reading this has seen Star Wars at least once in their life. this post is about the very first time I saw it, when it first hit the theater.


We had read about the soon-to-be-released sci-fi flick in our READ magazine in English class. It sounded like it was going to be great. I kept my eyes open for a nearby theater to advertise it. Finally, a large movie house in Westerville announced it would be running it.


Dad said I could take someone with me, so I asked if we could go over to Aunt Shelly's to pick up Skeeter. When we got there, we discovered that he was working for a nearby farmer. Chawly was still there, so I asked him to come along.


We rode to Westerville in the back of Chuck's pick-up truck (Chuck was Dad's best friend.). We were let off at the theater, with ticket money and a couple dollars for snacks. We then ventured inside for a viewing of one of the best movies that I had ever seen in my young life. Space ships! Laser guns! Aliens! Laser guns! Robots! Who wouldn't want to watch this movie? Did I mention laser guns?






When the movie was over we waited a few minutes for Dad to pick up up (this was before cell phones). Chawly and I spent the time rehashing all the exciting things we had just seen. Boy, Did Skeeter ever miss out.

Dad finally got there to pick us up, and we climbed into the back of the truck. Shortly after we began our 35-40 mile trip back home, it began to rain. Not mist, or thunderstorm, but one of those good ol' soaking rains. There wasn't room inside the truck for us, seeing that there were already four adults in the cab of the truck. A blanket was brought out from behind the seat, and we used that to try to stay dry. Needless to say, we were soaked when we got home.

I saw Star Wars several times after that. I convinced Gattabout to go see it when we visited him at his Army base. He had never seen it before. He actually went to a walk in theater to see it (he preferred drive-ins). Another time it was playing at a drive in when he came home on leave. We watched the two movies on our side of the drive in, then snuck over to the other screen to catch Star Wars again. Later, one of the drive-in employees knocked on our window and said "You can go home now." We had fallen asleep.

I found the Star Wars Trilogy on ebay prior to "Episode 1" coming out for $5. It was VHS, but we still have a working VHS player, so I thought it was a great buy. "The Boy" has seen it several times, and enjoys it just as much as I do every time I see it again.

Do you have a movie that you can see time & time again?

1 comment:

MotherT said...

Well, let's see--other than Star Wars, I would have to say First Knight.