Tuesday, October 28, 2008

You Never Know

We were attending the calling hours of an elderly saint who had gone on to be with the Lord last night. While there we ran into her grandson, who had flown in from Texas for the funeral. He introduced me to his wife as his former bible quizzing coach and Sunday school teacher. She replied "You had him in Sunday school? You poor man." After talking awhile, I found out that he had been elected pastor of a church there in Texas.

Later that night I got to thinking about some of the kids that have been in my Sunday school classes and on the van routes that I drove. I have taught & driven for over 20 years, so I have seen a lot of kids go through my class. It still tickles me to have kids tell me that they don't want to grow older because that means they will have to leave my class.

In addition to the above mentioned pastor, There have also been a wealth of other ministers who have called me teacher. One young man has been an Associate in Missions, preaching and teaching in The United Kingdom (mostly in Scotland) and in Eastern Europe (mostly in the Czech Republic). Current and former church music directors, numerous church musicians, choir members, Sunday school teachers, and bible college students have also been my pupils. In the secular world, nurses, nurses aides, and airports security screeners spent time as youth in my ministries.

I does me good to see the young person who was backward (or perhaps the other extreme) become responsible young adults. You never know what that child in you class will grow to be.

2 comments:

Liz said...

I heard a minister say one time that youth ministry is the easiest to burn out with, because you don't see the real results for 10-15 years

Anonymous said...

I am proud to be one of your kids. And I still play piano for my current church. Thank you for all your love, prayers and teaching. (Although, I never learned to eat a bowl of rocks for breakfast!) ;P
~Debi