Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"The Ties That Bind" or "The Ties Have It"

As requested by Mrs. Nurseboy, I will astound (or perhaps bore) you with the details of my necktie collection. I straightened & organized them last night to get an accurate count (and to put to use the tie hanger I bought at Goodwill for 59 cents).

When I finished counting them, I came up with 88 ties (not counting my major award). 30 of these ties are what I refer to as comical/conversational. The balance of the ties are the stripes, solids and geometrics that you find in any man's closet. There are times I must at least look dignified even if that is a mind-boggling image for those of you who know me. These do get used, but here are the ties I enjoy wearing the most:

Pictured are Pooh & Tigger (sorry for chopping you off Pooh), Three Stooges, Football Looney Tunes, Sesame Street, Dilbert & cow-orkers, Mickey, Charlie Chaplin, Pooh & friends and Super Taz.


Next we have Pooh & friends, Mickey & friends, Looney Tunes montage, Disney geometrics, Looney Tunes, Snoopy sports, Donald Duck, Disney paisley, and Looney Tunes with Bugs Bunny Stamp.
Now these are my conversational ties. We have American Flag, Lions, Columbus Blue Jackets, Philadelphia Eagles, Money, Peace, Books of the Bible, Mission from God, lighthouse, I AM, Church and Noah's ark.

I didn't take any pictures of the GQ ties, because you can open your husband's closet and look at those. I haven't paid more than $5 for any of my ties. Most have been given to me, or discovered at Goodwill. I can't pass up a $1.99 cartoon tie.

We had a missionary from Africa come through our chuch one time, and he explained that due to the heat, suits are unheard of there. If you dress up, you put on a tie, and he asked us to weed out our ugly/outdated/unwanted ties we didn't want and give to him. He said it doesn't matter what the tie looks like, one of the native preachers will love to have it. He got a dozen of mine.

2 comments:

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

VERY impressive collection! You did indeed earn your award! This was fun to look at. I bet your Sunday School class can't wait to see what tie you are wearing each week. They will be talking about your collection, and you, for years to come!

Thanks for sharing,
Mrs. Nurse Boy

Jewel said...

Wow! I am impressed! *smile* thanks so much for taking the time to share these with us! You DO have a collection. Ed just has the "normal" GQ ties! He's never been much for "wacky" or "themed" ties and that is okay.
That is so interesting about the missionary collecting ties. Neat!